Saturday, March 27, 2010

Earth Hour 60 - Burden on our infrastructure!

Earth Hour 60! - As my understanding goes it is an initative to create awareness about the global warming. But I am little bit cynic about it because of the doubts came to me aftermath of my google-eyed hours. In simple words, During earth hour every participant switch-off the lights in their premises to show their support for the cause. My question is what happens to the electricity which are not used during this hour. Are they going to be wasted? How strong are our power grids during this one hour to cope up with huge amount of load? One may say that power generation during this period at power plants are optimized (low production due to low demand) as per the reduced demand. But is it practically possible for a nuclear power plant or thermal power plant to reduce to say 25% capacity and return back to 100% capacity within an hour?
Or do we have the smart grids that can divert the surplus power to rural grids (assuming Earth Hour 60 is not that well advertised in rural areas - I am against it) which usually meets 75% energy demand can meet say 90% for an hour. Assuming our power plants are working with the same productivity during this one hour, our power grids has to be technically strong enough to distribute the surplus power or else it will damage the entire infrastructure of power grids as all the power grids are inter-linked nationally!

Two general information about electricity
  1. As per my friend who is working in a thermal power plant says, the maximum capacity of a coal based power plant in India is only 30% ie 70 gm out of 100 gm coal is just converted to ash instead of power.

  2. Electricity once generated it has to be used immediately otherwise you are bound to lose the energy. It can be stored by some technologies listed at http://www.electricitystorage.org/ESA/technologies/. Again we are talking about THE ONE HOUR which leave less options.

I think my friends in utility industry can clear me of my doubts and I wish to be logically proved wrong for any of my typewritings above. Finally Is it possible to live off-grid in future? Anybody listening there?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment